18 August 2009

Homemade Tortillas







I was trying to figure out what to make for dinner tonight. I decided that I wanted to make Pizza Quesadilla's. We did not have any tortilla shells or anything else that I could substitute (I have used buns, biscuits, and English muffins before)for it. I found a recipe for homemade Tortilla's.

The recipe was so simple and easy.

Here is the recipe that I used (makes about a dozen)

4 cups Flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 Tablespoon margarine or butter
1 cup (or more) warm water



Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and margarine in a medium bowl.

Gradually add water and mix until the dough is smooth (use your clean hands to knead). If dough is too sticky add flour, too stiff add water.



Roll dough into balls (about 1 1/2 inches). Set on a plate and cover with a clean towel for 10 minutes.

Use a rolling pin to roll the balls flat. Approx. 6 inches in diameter. If you want the picture perfect circles you will need to use a knife to cut off the excess dough.

The flatter you roll the dough the more like tortilla-like it will be. The thicker the dough is the more like gordita it will be.

Cook tortillas one at a time in a griddle or skillet over medium heat. Turn over when several bubbles appear. You may want to flatten the tortilla after it is flip to ensure that the other side cooks better.


The tortillas will be hard at first, but after they cool off they will be easier to bend. I believe that they freeze well, but I would not know- no left-overs!

My family loved them!!! I read that once you try them you will never want store-brought ones again. I agree!

No comments:

Post a Comment