13 October 2009

Malachi's hospitalization


Sunday during nursery Malachi ended up hitting his head badly in a doorway. It took a little while for me to comfort him but after I offered him a banana and some banana bread he calmed down. At my mom's house Malachi got sick and on the way home he got sick again.


We called the doctor's office and talked to the ped on-call; she said that if he threw up again we were to take him to the ER. But since he never lost consciousness and because he was acting okay that we did not need to take him right away. I was really concerned and my mommy gut was saying "take him". I was quite persistent about it. So Jadae took him while I went with the youth group to a Underground Railroad Reenactment Walk (that we both were suppose to go on with them). Malachi ended up getting sick a third time at the ER)


About 2/3's of the way into the walk Jadae text's me to see how much longer I would be. Then he calls me. I knew something was up if he called. He explained that Malachi has a slight skull fracture and that they were going to transfer him to Cleveland's Rainbow Baby and Children's Hospital. (they were originally going to go to Arkon but we have family in Cleveland). They wanted to observe him overnight. I left right away and went straight to the hospital, hoping and praying that I would beat the ambulance there. I did!
I am so thankful that I listened to my mommy's gut even though everyone told me that he would be fine and pry just has a bug. Even though he never lost consciousness it did look like he had a concussion. I was so afraid for him. He was being hospitalized. Would he be okay? How long would he have to stay? I was very scarced and did not know what to expect.

They allowed both Jadae and me to ride in the ambulance. We went to their ER first and then got our room for the hospitalization at around 3 am. Malachi went crazy running around since he was coped up on a hospital bed and in our arms for the last 8 hrs.


We saw a neurosurgeon who said surgery was not necessary. He had a non-displaced fracture of the left temple. A nurse took his vitals every few hrs and saw some more doctors. We were discharged at 6 or 7 pm and were allowed to go him with the instructions that we were to keep an eye on him and if he exhibited a list of symptoms that we were to call them immediately.


The hospital was really nice. Malachi played in the playroom for awhile. He also made friends were the staff. They all thought he was so adorable. We only had the cloth's that were on our back. But if we had to stay longer I would definitely had someone bring come clothes up and some comfort items for Malachi. Malachi loved walking the hallways.

While we were in the hospital we got word that Jadae's grandpa had died. He is the grandpa whose house we have been living in for almost 2 yrs now. Malachi's middle name came from him. While his health had been declining we did not expect him to die soon.

My mom got her port in today. She starts radiation on Wednesday or Thursday depending on how well her staples are healing from the mastectomy.

So I am a little overwhelmed right now

No comments:

Post a Comment